Why is My Car Leaking Water?
Have you recently noticed that your car is leaking water? If so, don’t panic. In most cases, this is not due to a serious issue. Because the air conditioning system in your vehicle creates condensation whenever it’s activated, it is perfectly normal to see small puddles of water near the back of the engine compartment. If you see water near the tailpipe, this is typically exhaust condensation, which disappears after your muffler warms up.
However, some leaking fluids could indicate a serious problem with your vehicle, so it is a good idea to set up a quick inspection at The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside when this happens.
Identifying the Cause of Leaking Water
Is water leaking from under your car? You will need to determine where the water is coming from:
- First, you will want to make sure that it is actually just water leaking from the vehicle. Place a sheet of paper under the leak, and if you notice that the fluid is a different color, you will want to have your vehicle checked out by a professional. For example, if the fluid is blue, green, or yellow, it’s likely coolant, not water.
- If more than a small amount of water is coming from your exhaust, a blown gasket may be causing coolant to be burned along with the fuel. When this happens, you will see large amounts of water and white smoke emerging from the exhaust pipe.
- While coolant is usually easy to spot due to its color, it is a good idea to also check the coolant level to confirm this issue. If the coolant is low, bring your vehicle in for an appointment with our expert technicians.
- Fluid can also be leaking from a cracked windshield wiper fluid reservoir. If you used water in your windshield wiper fluid, the water could freeze in the reservoir, expanding and causing cracks in the plastic container. Windshield wiper fluid will usually be light blue or light green in color, and you will typically find it near the front tires.
If the cause is anything other than condensation, it would be wise to have your vehicle looked at by a professional to prevent the need for more serious repairs down the road.
What Fluid is Leaking From My Car?
If, when you placed the sheet of paper under your vehicle, you noticed the leaking fluid isn’t clear, it’s not water. The guide provided below can give you a better idea of what fluid may be leaking from your vehicle:
- Red – Transmission Fluid or Power Steering Fluid
- Orange – Transmission Fluid or Radiator Coolant
- Yellow – Radiator Coolant
- Green – Antifreeze from Water Pump, Hoses, or Radiator
- Blue – Windshield Wiper Fluid
- Dark Brown – Brake Fluid or Older Engine Oil
- Light Brown – Newer Engine Oil or Gear Lubricant
- Pink – Power Steering Fluid or Transmission Fluid
The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside is Your Source for Expert Service
Now that you have determined whether or not your car is leaking water, your vehicle may be in need of service. Set up an appointment at your earliest convenience with The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside. We would also be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about your vehicle, whether your car is making strange sounds or you are simply wondering how to perform an oil change at home. Contact us today!
Recent News from The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside
Our Countryside customers love the interior of the new VW Tiguan. We don’t blame them. The 2020 VW Tiguan dimensions are impressive. There’s plenty of room for your passengers. And the VW Tiguan cargo space has tons of room for groceries, soccer gear, you name it! Even more impressive is the optional third row…
If you’re in the market for a new family-friendly SUV around Countryside with the power to tow your RV or boat, check out the 2021 Volkswagen Atlas. Do you want to know how much can a Volkswagen Atlas tow? The 2021 Volkswagen Atlas can tow up to 5,000 pounds without having to jeopardize fuel economy!…
When you’re picking out an SUV for your Chicago driving pleasure, you’ve got a lot of choices when comparing 2021 Volkswagen Atlas trim levels. From a base model that gives you a great SUV experience without breaking the bank to premium trim packages that give you everything a luxurious SUV has to offer, there’s…