How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all Chicago drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently avoided. Your vehicle warranty covers a lot, and VW Roadside Assistance may be able to help, but this is a fix you will usually need to take care of solo. That’s okay. That’s why the service team from The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside is here — we do more than change your oil. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
Tools to Change a Flat Tire
Whenever driving a car for the first time, it’s important to load up on the essentials — and that includes the tools to change a flat tire. Some cars come with these when you buy them, but you should always check for these tire changing tools:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
All of them should come standard if your vehicle includes a spare tire. Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
Those are the essentials, but you’ll also do well to have these tools for changing a flat tire as well:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
How to Change a Flat Tire
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
- Put your tools for changing a flat back where they were for the next time you might need them.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Us
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department, we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more about how to jump a car or have a weird car noise to diagnose; just come into our dealership in Countryside today! Remember that a donut tire is not a proper replacement – it’s temporary. Schedule tire service with The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside so you can trust your LaGrange drive to go smoothly.
Learn More from The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside
Drivers near LaGrange have every reason to get excited about the Volkswagen Jetta, along with its ever-expanding list of genuine accessories and options. However, for drivers unfamiliar with genuine VW parts and accessories, the sheer number of Volkswagen Jetta accessories could make it easy to feel overwhelmed. The team here at The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside has highlighted…
Customizing your 2019 Volkswagen Jetta is all part of the fun of ownership. You have a variety of Volkswagen accessories from which to choose, such as Volkswagen Jetta trims. Whether you’re looking for a small and unassuming change or a bold wheel set that turns heads throughout Chicago, The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside can help. Our parts department will…
One of the best things to do in Chicago when the weather turns cold is to warm up with some hot, delicious pizza. Chicagoland pizzerias are known for packing unique flavors into their distinctive deep dish pies, and we’ve rounded up our top 4 favorite pizza restaurants in Chicago to tempt your palate. Whether you…