How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all Chicago drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently avoided. Your vehicle warranty covers a lot, and VW Roadside Assistance may be able to help, but this is a fix you will usually need to take care of solo. That’s okay. That’s why the service team from The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside is here — we do more than change your oil. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
Tools to Change a Flat Tire
Whenever driving a car for the first time, it’s important to load up on the essentials — and that includes the tools to change a flat tire. Some cars come with these when you buy them, but you should always check for these tire changing tools:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
All of them should come standard if your vehicle includes a spare tire. Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
Those are the essentials, but you’ll also do well to have these tools for changing a flat tire as well:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
How to Change a Flat Tire
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
- Put your tools for changing a flat back where they were for the next time you might need them.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Us
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department, we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more or have a weird car noise to diagnose; just come into our dealership in Countryside today! Remember that a donut tire is not a proper replacement – it’s temporary. Schedule tire service with The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside so you can trust your LaGrange drive to go smoothly.
Learn More from The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside
Despite the affordable 2019 Volkswagen Atlas price, the Atlas interior has third-row legroom rivals its competitors, features a new digital cockpit with technologies like Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect, and sports a supremely flexible cargo bay. Take an in-depth look at the 2019 Volkswagen Atlas interior before scheduling a test drive at The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside near Chicago. Volkswagen Atlas…
If you’ve ever broken down near Chicago or LaGrange, you know how unnerving these moments can be. Volkswagen Roadside Assistance offers peace of mind that, when an emergency happens, you’ll have help getting back on the road as soon as possible. The Autobarn Volkswagen of Countryside is here to help with the details so you know when to call…
Our community has always been a home for travelers and adventurers of all stripes, and when you book your stay at one of these fabulous Chicago hotels, you’ll be able to experience the city as it was meant to be seen. Contact Us Chicago Hotels Two of our favorite options are located in up-and-coming neighborhoods,…